It is generally accepted that the rate of return on a lottery ticket improves as the jackpot gets higher. For those thinking, “How late can you buy lottery tickets?” the simplest answer is that you can and should buy it when the jackpot gets sufficiently large, which in itself has very little to do with the time of purchase.
What Is The Latest Time To Buy A Lottery Ticket?
Don’t be too late, or you’ll end up asking, “do lottery tickets expire?” instead. Although the higher the amount of tickets sold, the more the prize will be split amongst each winner. The general time when a lottery ticket expires varies greatly on the lottery you’re participating in. Another thing to note is that most of these lotteries stop the sale of their tickets from anywhere between an hour to a few hours before the winning numbers are drawn and announced, so if you delay too much, you may not find any tickets for sale.
What Deadline To Buy Popular Lotteries?
You may have frequently heard questions like “what time do they stop selling lottery tickets?” amongst gamblers. This is because lottery tickets have a deadline until they are sold. Here are the deadlines for buying some of the most popular tickets worldwide:
- The National Lottery in the UK specifies that people can buy tickets from 6 am to 11 pm, except on draw days where the tickets must be purchased before 7.30 pm GMT.
- Those who are in Texas in the United States have a deadline of 10 pm CT on the draw day to purchase Lotto Texas tickets.
- Those looking to purchase Powerball tickets can do so 59 minutes before the drawing, as per the Multi-State Lottery Association (MSLA).
- Minnesota stops the sale of tickets by 9 pm on drawing days.
- The Lucky For Life lottery deadline is 9.30 pm.
Also, the next time somebody asks you, “what time do they stop selling lottery tickets?” make sure to point them in the direction of this article, or just use Google.
When Are The Winning Numbers Drawn?
Here are the drawing times of some popular lotteries across the United States and the United Kingdom:
- In the case of the Mega Millions, drawings are held every Tuesday and Friday at 11 pm ET.
- Powerball drawings are held every week on Wednesday and Saturday at 10:59 pm ET, and sales cut-off times can vary between one to two hours before the drawings commence.
- The Lotto America drawings commence at 10 pm on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
- The Colorado Lottery typically draws the winning numbers on Saturdays and Wednesdays.
- In the UK, the Set for Life tickets is drawn at 8 pm every Monday and Thursday, while the National Lottery Lotto is drawn every Saturday and Wednesday.
You may read our other posts: